A 15-year-old boy is in serious but stable condition at the Mount St. John’s Medical Centre yesterday after being stabbed in Barbuda on Sunday evening.
The boy’s mother, Erica Harris, told OBSERVER media yesterday, that doctors are keeping her son at the medical institution for observation.
She said her son is in a serious but stable condition and also explained that he was involved in an altercation with another young man when the other boy’s older brother, whom she only knows as Sean, got involved and stabbed her son at least twice.
She said that her son was stabbed on the right side of his body and on his right hand in the vicinity of his wrist. The mother recalled receiving a phone call at home after 5 p.m. on Sunday in which she was informed that she needed to go to the hospital. Harris said that she got there about 10 minutes before her son.
She said that she subsequently accompanied her son on a bumpy ride from Barbuda to Antigua on Sunday night on a coast guard vessel and she had been at the hospital with him ever since. She stated that the child has been unable to eat since being admitted to the hospital but he is being given intravenous drips.
At the time of the interview, yesterday around 4 p.m., the mother said she was not clear as to how the investigation into the incident was going. She said that shortly before she spoke to OBSERVER media, police officers went to the hospital to ask her questions but she indicated to them that she was unable to help them with the information they sought so they left.
She also recalled that a police officer spoke about a juvenile correctional institution but she could not provide any detail as to which child was being considered in that respect.