Hurricane MariaLocalNewsRecovery

Ministry of Tourism appoints post Maria taskforce

by: Dominica Vibes News - November 13, 2017
223 Views   no discussions

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism and Urban Renewal, Careen Prevost

The Ministry of Tourism and Urban Renewal has appointed a post Maria taskforce to assist the rebuilding and repairing of the tourism sector as well as Tourism sites after the Passage of Hurricane Maria.

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism and Urban Renewal, Careen Prevost stated that the ministry has met with numerous stakeholder groups where recommendations were suggested for the rebuilding of the sector.

The idea for this taskforce she said stemmed from meetings held with a number of stakeholders including all those involved in the tourism sector.

“As of November 1st, the Minister of Tourism has appointed that taskforce, which is being chaired by Mr. Gregor Nassief,” Prevost stated during the daily press briefing on Monday 13 November 2017.

The permanent secretary added that meetings have already been held with this to discuss plans for the development and rebuilding of the Tourism sector.

“So far two meetings have been held, one joint meeting with the Ministry of the Tourism, and The Discover Dominica Authority where we looked at the initial function of the taskforce and the expectations of the Ministry and the expectations of the committee as a private sector grouping. Since then the taskforce has met and has presented to the Ministry of Tourism a sixty day plan which is focused on the developmental rebuilding of the sector in an effort prepare us for cruise early in the next year,” she explained.

Prevost stated that in addition to the taskforce the ministry will be collaborating with DDA to provide weekly updates to stakeholders.

She added that rehabilitation plans are in the works to ensure that the sector and all the sites are in a state of readiness to begin the cruise season on January 1st 2018.

“In the stakeholder meetings that we have had, our tour operators and service providers have indicated to us that within sixty days they can be ready to accommodate the cruise sector. So in that regard the Minster has written to all the major cruise line indicating that we are making ourselves ready for January 1st 2018, to accommodate cruise lines back to Dominica. Because of this we are currently engaged in an aggressive site rehabilitation plan so by November 1st we would have assessed all of our sites and prepared a comprehensive site rehabilitation plan from the Ministry of Tourism,” said Prevost.