Roseau, Dominica – September 11th, 2017 – The Government of the Commonwealth of Dominica, through the Ministry of Justice and in collaboration with the Office of Disaster Management and the Dominica Export Import Agency (DEXIA) is in the process of mobilizing relief items to our Northern Caribbean neighbors affected by the passing of hurricane Irma. The assistance of the DAIC, DHTA, and other private sector associations have been sought to donate items which we will distribute to the islands. This public / private sector collaboration will oversee a coordinated effort amongst our members to help our Caribbean neighbors.
A system has been put in place for companies or individuals wishing to donate. 1. Cash sponsorship: Monies can be deposited on the DAIC/DHTA approved relief accounts of the following distributors:
• J Astaphan and Co.
• H.H.V. Whitchurch & Co. Ltd.
• WHITCO Inc.
• Spring Field Trading Ltd.
• Fine Foods Inc.
• Josephine Gabriel (Distributors) Ltd.
All monies will be used to purchase water and non-perishable items which have been pre-approved by the Office of Disaster Management.
2. Sponsorship in kind: All goods can be dropped off at consolidation stations at:
• Roseau – DEXIA Packing Shed on Goodwill Road near AID Bank.
• Portsmouth – The Long House reception depot.
Please note that:
• We are asking that any quantities being donated be in full cases to facilitate ease of consolidation.
• An approved list of dry goods from the ODM is attached.
• In order to meet the immediate needs of the affected islands we are asking for in Kind donations of Water and items on the approved list in the short term. As the situation develops we will convey any medium and long terms assistance that will be needed.
• You can also go to any of the aforementioned distributors and purchase items. When given instructions, the distributor will deliver to the consolidation stations on your behalf.
The DAIC and DHTA encourages that we extend the same courtesy to our Northern Caribbean family, who, during our times of crisis was quick to mobilize and offer aid. For more information on making donations, call the DAIC at (767)440-1962 / 235-1962 or the DHTA at (767)440-3430 / (767) 2757453.