PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad — Minister of Works and Transport Jack Warner has assured the low-fare airline REDjet that it will be cleared for take-off from Piarco International Airport in Trinidad by the middle of this month, around May 13.
Warner, together with officials of the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority, met with REDjet’s CEO, Ian Burns and Business Development Officer, Robbie Burns, last week in Port of Spain to discuss the carrier’s entry into Trinidad and Tobago.
Warner told reporters, “There will be people who booked tickets who will be disappointed and perhaps rightfully, but the fact is that we have certain processes to follow and therefore based on that they won’t be able to start on Sunday as was planned.”
Warner said the Air Transport Licensing Authority is the committee responsible for issuing the commercial licence to REDjet and the Authority’s board will be appointed on Monday. He said the Board’s first task will be the granting of approval to REDjet after which the matter will be taken to Cabinet for approval. Warner said he hoped the process will be completed before May 15.
After the airline’s launch last month, Warner said he was in the dark as to how REDjet got permission to operate locally. REDjet was subsequently told to cease its advertising campaign until it had obtained the necessary approvals.
Caribbean News Now