This year, saving consistently and regularly is being lauded as the means to achieving one’s goals be they education, a vacation, starting a business, owning a home, or securing finances for retirement. In simple terms, the 2011 Financial Information Month theme advocates that saving is a pre-requisite for a good life.
During the month, financial institutions will collaborate with ECCU member governments, the media and other public and private sector partners to host a series of informational and educational initiatives geared at empowering all residents of the ECCU to achieve their life’s goals.
These initiatives will include:
• A declaration speech by the Minister for Finance in each of the eight member countries of the ECCU to launch the month;
• The ECCB’s issuance of a two dollar circulation coin with the month’s theme. The coin is legal tender;
• The launch of a Financial Information Month theme song and ringtone;
• A business development symposium targeting CEOs, business leaders and prospective entrepreneurs. The symposium will focus on business strategy and management within a changing economic environment;
• Discussions on financial issues with schools, business houses, community groups and churches; and
• Radio and television programmes and newspaper articles on money management and investing.
Financial Information Month is a collaborative effort among the ECCU member governments, financial and academic institutions, the media, private and public sector institutions and community-based groups. The month forms part of an ECCU financial education programme coordinated by the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB).
The programme incorporates a series of initiatives designed to support the attainment of the goal of “a financially developed and vibrant ECCU region that fosters strong and sustainable economic growth and the improved well-being of the citizenry.”
by Nerissa Golden
Caribbean News Now