Moringa has been identified as the vegetable with the highest nutritional value among many types of food species studied.
Moringa oleifera has an impressive range of medicinal uses with high nutritional value and medicinal benefits.
Different parts of this plant contain a profile of important minerals, and are a good source of protein, vitamins, beta-carotene, amino acids and various phenolics.
The Moringa plant provides a rich and rare combination of zeatin, quercetin, beta-sitosterol, caffeoylquinic acid and kaempferol.
Moringa can act as cardiac and circulatory stimulants, possess antitumor, antipyretic, antiepileptic, antiinflammatory, antiulcer, antispasmodic, diuretic, antihypertensive, cholesterol lowering, antioxidant, antidiabetic, hepatoprotective, antibacterial and antifungal activities, and are being employed for the treatment of different ailments in the indigenous system of medicine.
Moringa Leaves Medicinal uses and benefits
• Leaves rubbed against the temple can relieve headaches.
• To stop bleeding from a shallow cut, apply a poultice of fresh leaves.
• There is an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effect when applied to wounds or insect bites.
• Extracts can be used against bacterial or fungal skin complaints.
• Leaf tea treats gastric ulcers and diarrhoea.
• Eating Moringa food products is good for those suffering from malnutrition due to the high protein and fibre content.
* Leaves treat fevers, bronchitis, eye and ear infections, inflammation of the mucus membrane
* The iron content of the leaves is high, and they are reportedly prescribed for anemia in the Philippines.
* Dried Moringa leaves treat diarrhoea in Malawi, Africa.
* The powder ground from the seeds is also used in the treatment of scurvy skin diseases (common bacterial infections of the skin).
Moringa Flowers Medicinal uses and benefits
• Flower juice improves the quality and flow of mothers’ milk when breast feeding.
• Flower juice is useful for urinary problems as it encourages urination.
* In Haiti, villagers boil Moringa flowers in water and drink the tea as a powerful cold remedy.
Moringa Pods Medicinal uses and benefits
• If eaten raw, pods act as a de-wormer and treat liver and spleen problems and pains of the joints.
• Due to high protein and fibre content they can play a useful part in treating malnutrition and diarrhoea.
Moringa Seeds Medicinal uses and benefits
• Used for their antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties to treat arthritis, rheumatism, gout, cramp, sexually transmitted diseases and boils. The seeds are roasted, pounded, mixed with coconut oil and applied to the problem area. Seed oil can be used for the same ailments.
• Roasted seeds and oil can encourage urination.
• They can also be used as a relaxant for epilepsy.
Moringa seeds are effective against skin-infecting bacteria Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. They contain the potent antibiotic and fungicide terygospermin.
Moringa roots, bark and gum Medicinal uses and benefits
The roots and the bark have all of the properties described above but are more concentrated. Therefore much more care should be taken if using them as medicines.
* The roots and bark are used for cardiac and circulatory problems, as a tonic and for inflammation. The bark is an appetizer and digestive.
* In Senegal and India, roots are pounded and mixed with salt to make a poultice for treating rheumatism and articulars pains. In Senegal, this poultice is also used to relieve lower back or kidney pain
* The alkaloid spirachin (a nerve paralysant) has been found in the roots.
* The gum is diuretic, astringent and abortifacient and is used against asthma.
Moringa Oil Medicinal uses and benefits
* Oil of Ben is used for hysteria, scurvy, prostate problems and bladder troubles.
* Villagers in Oman use Moringa oil to treat stomach disorders. They also use it in perfume and hair oil.
Moringa & Ayurveda Medicinal uses and benefits
Uses every part of the Moringa Tree and considers it one of the most valuable and useful plants. The ayurvedic medicine of India has many uses for Moringa Tree products, such as a natural antibiotic, an aid in childbirth, for treating liver disorders, and many other uses.
Moringa & Siddha Medicinal uses and benefits
In Siddha medicine says that the leaves are full of medicinal properties. The drumstick seeds are used as a sexual virility drug for treating erectile dysfunction in men and also in women for prolonging sexual activity.