EntertainmentLocalNews

$1.7M approved for WCMF 2017

by: Dominica Vibes News - July 14, 2017
236 Views   no discussions

Minister for Tourism and Urban Renewal Robert Tonge (file photo)

The Dominica government has approved 1.7 million dollars towards the staging of this year’s World Creole Music Festival.

The twentieth edition of the World Creole Music Festival was launched at the Fort Young Hotel on Thursday 13 July 22017.

Minister for Tourism and Urban Renewal, Senator Robert Tonge said the decision to maintain the increased subvention is in keeping with the Ministry of Tourism and Urban Renewal’s plan to maintain a high standard of the festival.

Senator Tonge informed the highest time of Value Added Tax (VAT) collection is during the World Creole Music Festival which indicates that the activity “truly impacts” on the economy and “trickles down to the ordinary man”.

It is within this context that government “significantly increased” its investment in festival.

“Last year it was increased by a million dollars, the total subvention by the government was 1.7 million dollars. Again, the government has again seen the impact and the relevance of this event and has continued to support the same amount,” Minister Tonge said.

“So this year it has allowed us again to ensure that we can take the festival to the standard that you have gotten used to last year,” he said.

Senator Tonge noted that this is part of government’s overall investment in the tourism sector to include destination marketing, product development and site enhancement.

In May 2017, the World Creole Music Festival was featured in Billboard’s ‘7 Caribbean Music Festivals That Get It Right’ list and according to Senator Tonge, the Dominica Festivals Committee is working to ensure that Dominica continues to get it right in planning and executing the festival.

“I’m extremely proud that our World Creole Music Festival has been featured in Billboard’s seven Caribbean music festivals that got it right, so obviously it seems that we are doing something right and the intention is to continue working on these,” he said.

Further, to Senator Tonge, this accolade from Billboard Magazine “speaks volume about us as a people”.

“It speaks to our robust, and detailed planning and effective management, and the ability to present each and every year, a festival that truly meets international standards,” he added.

The Festival, he said, is about ensuring that the event lives up to its reputation as most indigenous music festivals in the Caribbean reflecting our creole heritage and incorporating various elements of a music culture that represents our common humanity.

The Festival, which was inaugurated in 1997, celebrates French-Caribbean genres including Dominica’s indigenous cadence-lypso and bouyon, Zouk from neighboring Guadeloupe and Martinique and Haitian Kompa.

The line-up of artistes, bands and performers for the annual festival are as follows;

Night One – Friday 27 October 2017 : Breve, Klass, Movado, First Serenade Band, Yemi Alade, and Triple Kay International

Night Two – Saturday 28 October 2017 : Marce et Tumpak, Kai/Machel Montano, Etana, Romain Virgo, Asa Bantan, Zouk All Stars, Jean-Marc Ferdinand, Orlane/Franky Vincent, Stephane Ravor

Night Three – 29 July 2017: Mizik A Nou All Stars, Kalash, Swinging Stars with Calypsonians, Bunji Garlin and Fay-Ann Lyons, and Sweet Micky.