The Deliverance Baptist Church on Short Lane Goodwill, celebrates its 40th Anniversary, from November 2nd to December 14th 2016, under the theme “This Far by Faith; Gathering the Harvest”. The church was inaugurated in November 1976.
Over the years the church has matured into an institution which aims at touching lives with hope and love, manifested through a holistic ministry, comprising of programs which address the spiritual, social, and physiological needs of individuals.
The ongoing partnership and networking activities of the leadership of the church, with various evangelical organizations throughout the Caribbean and the United States, have benefited many Dominicans.
Over the years the church has undertaken several social missions. The most recent being in November 2016, where houses were constructed for over 100 needy families. Other projects include: A Samaritan Feet project which provided shoes for students of several schools and other individuals and Relief Supplies for needy persons in affected communities throughout Dominica following Tropical Storm Erica.
In addition there is a weekly Soup Kitchen which supplies a meal to students at the Goodwill Primary School, AWANA( Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed) program for children, Drama program” Dream Team” for the youth, after school support program for students, counselling facility and various ongoing educational programs for adults.
The celebration of the 40th anniversary is marked by a program of activities throughout the month of November until mid-December 2016. Highlights of the celebration include:
• Youth Awards ceremony on Friday November 18th,2016 commencing 7.30pm to be held at the Dominica State College facility
• A Health Fair on Saturday November 19th, 2016 from 9.00am to 1.00pm, with a focus on specific cancers, will be held on the grounds of the church as part of its community outreach program.
This Heath Fair is in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Environment to include the Oncology Unit, and the Dominica Cancer Society and support by various private sector organizations. This will be held on the grounds of the church as part of its community outreach program.
The church has successfully hosted two (2) Health Fairs with a focus on the Chronic Non-Communicable diseases in 2012 and 2015 where several individuals were referred for medical management by health care providers.
The activities planned for this health fair are:
• Public Education/Awareness on cancer prevalence, prevention, early detection and treatment
• Cancer Screening (Breast, Prostate, Cervical)
• Cancer and Nutrition Health
• A grand Anniversary Service on November 27th 2016 to be held at the Dominica State College auditorium commencing at 3.00pm to be followed by three nights of special services at the Deliverance Baptist church from 7.00pm
• The launching of the church Anniversary Magazine and Exhibition will be held on December 11,2016